Living With Cervical Spondylosis While Trying to Build a New Life

Personal photo of Nadine sharing her journey of living with cervical spondylosis while rebuilding her life through creativity and learning

There was a time when most of my attention was focused on recovering from my strokes. Today, I am grateful that I can walk, talk, move around, and handle most things for myself again.

My recovery is not perfect. My speech is not completely back to where it was before, I sometimes have moments where my memory is not as sharp as I would like, and there are still certain physical activities I cannot do the way I once could.

But the medical issue that affects my daily life the most right now is cervical spondylosis.

The pain can change the way I work, how long I can sit at my computer, how much I can accomplish in one day, and sometimes even how motivated I feel. At the same time, I am trying to rebuild my life creatively and professionally.

I am writing songs, publishing music, working on books, learning about artificial intelligence, building apps, and trying to become more comfortable creating live content.

Some days I feel productive.

Other days, my body reminds me that I have limits.

I am learning how to live somewhere between those two realities.

Medical disclaimer: This article shares my personal experience living with cervical spondylosis. It is not medical advice and should not replace evaluation, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified healthcare professional.

What Cervical Spondylosis Feels Like in My Daily Life

One of the difficult things about chronic pain is that other people may not always see it.

I can be sitting at my computer working on something I enjoy while also dealing with discomfort in my neck, shoulders, back, or surrounding areas.

Sometimes I can work for a while without much difficulty. Other times, I have to stop sooner than I expected.

That can be frustrating, especially when my mind is ready to work but my body is asking for rest.

I have learned that having the desire to accomplish something does not always mean I physically have the energy to complete it in one sitting.

How Pain Affects My Creativity

I have a lot of ideas.

Sometimes that is a blessing, and sometimes it becomes overwhelming.

I can think about a song, a book, an app, a blog post, a video, and a new business idea all in the same week. The problem is that having the ideas is easier than having the physical energy to complete all of them.

Pain can interrupt concentration.

Fatigue can make a simple task take longer.

Sitting too long can become uncomfortable.

And once I become physically tired, it is much easier for me to feel mentally overwhelmed too.

I have had to accept that creativity does not always happen according to a schedule.

Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of something and return to it later.

Learning to Work in Shorter Sessions

One of the things I am trying to improve is how I manage my work.

I used to think that if I started something, I needed to keep going until it was finished. Now I am learning that sometimes stopping is part of finishing.

If I push myself until the pain becomes too much, I may lose the rest of the day.

Working in shorter sessions allows me to make progress without always reaching the point of complete exhaustion.

That can mean:

  • writing part of a song today and finishing it tomorrow;
  • working on one section of a book instead of several chapters;
  • learning one part of an AI tool instead of trying to master everything at once;
  • or completing one important task instead of ten smaller ones.

This approach can feel slow, but slow progress is still progress.

The Frustration of Having Ideas but Limited Energy

One of my biggest personal challenges is accepting how many unfinished projects I have.

I have books that I started but have not completed yet.

I have apps I have worked on.

I am taking AI classes and continuing to learn new tools.

I want to create more content and spend more time going live.

There are days when I look at everything I want to accomplish and feel as though I should be doing more.

But I am also learning that unfinished does not mean failed.

Some projects simply need more time.

Some ideas may change.

Some may no longer fit the direction I am going in.

And some may eventually become something better than I originally planned.

What I Have Been Able to Complete

One area where I have made real progress is songwriting.

I have written songs, completed them, and published them.

They have not gained a large amount of traction yet, but completing and releasing them means something to me.

It proves that I can still take an idea from beginning to end.

That matters.

When you are dealing with pain, fatigue, and periods of feeling overwhelmed, finishing something can become its own victory.

I am trying to focus less on immediate numbers and more on building a body of work I can continue improving.

Learning New Things With AI

Another part of rebuilding my life has been learning more about artificial intelligence.

I am currently taking AI classes and experimenting with tools that allow me to create in ways I would not have imagined years ago.

I have been learning about app building, content creation, design, writing, and different ways technology can support creative work.

There is still a lot I do not know.

Sometimes I get frustrated.

Sometimes something does not work the way I expect.

But learning reminds me that I am still moving forward.

I do not have to know everything today.

Trying to Become More Comfortable Going Live

Another area I want to develop is live content.

Going live gives me the opportunity to speak directly with people, receive feedback, and create a stronger connection than I can always get from posting something and waiting for comments.

I am still building confidence with it.

Because my speech is not exactly what it was before my strokes, there are moments when I may need extra time to find a word or express a thought.

Instead of allowing that to stop me completely, I am trying to become more comfortable with showing up as I am.

I do not need to sound perfect to have something meaningful to say.

Pacing Myself Without Giving Up

This may be the biggest lesson I am learning.

There is a difference between resting and quitting.

There is a difference between moving slowly and going nowhere.

There is a difference between changing your plan and abandoning your goals.

Some days I can accomplish more.

Some days I need to stop earlier.

The challenge is learning not to judge myself by the most productive version of myself every day.

My body has been through a lot.

Respecting that does not mean I no longer have ambition.

It means I am learning how to pursue that ambition differently.

Building a Life That Fits Who I Am Now

I do not think rebuilding means becoming exactly who I was before everything changed.

I am not trying to recreate an old version of my life.

I am trying to build one that fits who I am now.

That includes my limitations.

It also includes my creativity.

My faith.

My ideas.

My curiosity.

My desire to learn.

And my determination to keep producing something meaningful.

There are still things I want to accomplish.

I want to complete more books.

I want to continue publishing music.

I want to keep learning AI.

I want to improve the apps I have started.

I want to become more confident with live content.

But I also want to do those things without constantly fighting against my own body.

Final Thoughts

Living with cervical spondylosis has forced me to think differently about productivity, creativity, and progress.

I may not be able to work at the pace I once imagined.

I may need more breaks.

I may take longer to complete certain projects.

And I may occasionally have to change direction.

But I am still creating.

I am still learning.

I am still trying.

And I am still building.

I may have to build differently now, but I am still building.


Post a Comment

0 Comments