Catching the Flu During Stroke Recovery: My Experience One Month Later

Personal photo during recovery after stroke while dealing with the flu

Medical disclaimer: This article shares my personal experience with having the flu during stroke recovery. It is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. Symptoms, medication needs and recovery plans vary from person to person. Anyone with concerning or worsening symptoms should contact an appropriate healthcare professional.

Recovering from a stroke is a journey filled with ups and downs.

For me, just one month into this delicate process, I caught the flu—and it turned my recovery into an even greater challenge.

It wasn’t just about managing physical symptoms; it was also about facing the emotional toll and finding ways to push forward despite the setbacks.

Here, I want to share my personal experience with catching the flu shortly after my strokes and the lessons I’ve learned in navigating such a difficult time.

The Double Burden of Recovery and Illness

Having the flu while still adjusting to life after strokes felt overwhelming. Every ounce of energy was already being poured into relearning simple tasks, managing stress, and coping with the emotional weight of recovery. Adding the flu into the mix made everything harder:

  • Exhaustion Multiplied: Recovery is tiring on its own, but the flu left me feeling utterly drained. I could barely get out of bed, let alone focus on exercises or daily routines.
  • Fear of complications: I worried about how becoming sick might affect a body that was already recovering. I was especially concerned about my breathing, energy level and whether my symptoms could become more serious.
  • Disrupted Medications: Some flu symptoms, like nausea, made it difficult to stick to my stroke medication schedule. I had to reach out to my doctor for guidance to ensure I stayed on track.

What Helped Me Cope

  1. Listening to my body
  2. Staying hydrated and eating when I could
  3. Paying attention to my breathing
  4. Following my prescribed medication plan
  5. Adjusting my usual recovery routine
  6. Making my environment more comfortable
  7. Looking after my emotional wellbeing

These are things I personally did during that period. They are not recommendations for everyone, and I discussed medication or concerning symptoms with my healthcare professionals.

  • Fatigue may be more intense, so I rested when needed. I didn't push myself to maintain my “normal” recovery pace.
  • I kept a balance—gentle movement with stretching that helped with my breathing circulation.
  • I drank plenty of water, soups, and herbal tea to avoid dehydration, which can worsen headaches, dizziness, and weakness.
  • I sat in the sun, ate nutrient-rich foods: like fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains to support both my immune system and recovery.
  • When I felt congested or uncomfortable, I focused on making my resting environment as comfortable as possible.
  • I found that certain resting positions felt more comfortable for me when I was congested.
  • I didn't skip my prescribed medications. Use alarms, pill organizers, or ask someone you trust to help you stay on track.
  • Because I was already dealing with stiffness and weakness during recovery, I continued using only the comfort measures and prescribed supports that were appropriate for me.
  • We watch for signs that may overlap with stroke symptoms (e.g., sudden weakness, speech issues). If anything feels unusual, seek medical help immediately.
  • I kept essentials nearby: water, tissues, meds, and a blanket.
  • Allow others to support you—it’s not weakness but wisdom. Illness can stir up frustration and discouragement, so gentle affirmations, prayer, or calming music can lift your spirit. Remind yourself: “This flu is temporary. I’ve already overcome so much—I can handle this too.”

Symptoms I Would Not Ignore

During recovery, I learned not to assume that every new symptom was simply part of the flu. Some symptoms can require prompt medical attention.

Examples include:

  • difficulty breathing or chest pain;
  • signs of significant dehydration;
  • worsening confusion;
  • or sudden neurological symptoms such as facial drooping, arm weakness, balance changes or speech difficulty.

Sudden stroke symptoms should be treated as an emergency. The American Stroke Association recommends using B.E. F.A.S.T. to recognize warning signs and seeking emergency help immediately.

What This Experience Taught Me

Becoming sick so soon after my stroke recovery began reminded me that healing does not always move in a straight line.

There are times when the body needs more rest than expected, routines have to change and progress temporarily slows down. That did not mean I had failed in my recovery. It meant I had another challenge to work through.

I also learned the importance of paying attention to changes in my body, asking for help when I needed it and communicating with my healthcare team instead of trying to manage everything alone.

Recovery continued after the flu passed, but the experience taught me to approach difficult days with more patience.  

Post a Comment

1 Comments